Self Care Secrets For Women
I once heard a woman say her husband was so insistent on her devoting time to herself it became part of their wedding vows. Why? Her husband understood that she can only the best version of herself when she made time for herself. He realized that she was only able to give to her children and to him after she gave to herself first. If she were to pour into her family before pouring into herself she would be empty.
So often women take care of everyone else before they take care of themselves. We have been taught it’s selfish to put ourselves first. This is not true. The most selfless thing women can do it care for themselves first.
Over the past few years, self care has become a catch phrase with meanings varying from a day at the spa, enjoying a hot yoga class to sipping on a green smoothie. Truth is self care is all of these things and more. I believe self care exists in 4 realms; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.
Self care of your physical body simply means caring for the vessel your spirit lives in. You have 1 body to last your entire life, so it’s absolutely necessary you treat it with care. While the saying cleanliness is close to Godliness holds true in my opinion taking care of your body goes beyond good hygiene (although that’s a good start).
- Your skin is your biggest organ and it absorbs everything it comes in contact with. Make sure the products you use nourish you skin and try avoiding harmful ingredients that damage your skin.
- Exercise benefits you internally and is reflected externally, hello sexy body. Exercise also helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Choose healthy foods. By eating clean and decreasing the amount of processed food you consume you will fuel your body instead of slowing it down.
- Drink water 90% of the time. It moisturizes your body including your hair and skin and it helps maintains a healthy vagina.
- Love you body no matter your size, height, complexion or your physical features.
Mental care is being in a state of well-being and having the abilities to cope with the stresses of life (work, family, friends…). It focuses on your psychological and social wellness. Caring for your mental health is often overlooked because of the stigma and shame that comes with mental illness. Don’t be afraid to seek the council of a professional because they help identify and manage stress, tension, fear, and anxiety we all experience. Maintain your mental wellness by trying a few of these techniques.
- Exercise causes your body to release endorphins, dopamine, serotonin which regulates your mood.
- Seek treatment for mental health issues or to just have a non biased person to talk to who can help you work through your concerns.
- Get enough sleep so your mind stays clear and focused
- Adult coloring books help are therapeutic and have the same effects a meditation on the brain.
- Epsom salt baths ease stress and helps flush toxins from the body.
It’s no secret that women are emotional. Instead of celebrating how powerful we are by honoring our feelings we are shunned for being too emotional. This has lead to a generation of women (and men for that matter) who have difficulty working through their emotions. Anger has become a cover for pain or fear that was never dealt with causing us to live in a world full of angry and afraid people. It’s time to acknowledge your emotions and take the time to discover the reason for your pain. It’s time to destroy the fears that once destroyed you. It’s time we learn to love ourselves and stop judging ourselves so harshly. It time to forgive yourself for past mistakes and forgive others so that you can move on with your life. Emotional healing is a long and difficult process but in the end you will love and be at peace with who you are. Diving into buried emotions is one of the most freeing things you can do for yourself.
- Show some love to someone in your life.
- Journal it’s a way to release your feelings. When you look back on past entries you can see your growth.
- Avoid negative self talk and replace it with a mantra or affirmation that makes you feel good about yourself.
- Spend time with friends/family doing something fun that will make you laugh
Spirituality is not religion. Religion is a set of beliefs and actions you take that align with your belief. Spirituality is the connection you have with your spirit. Everyone has a spirit It’s the thing inside of you that makes you who you are. It’s the voice inside that we so often ignore. It the essence of who you are.
- Meditation males you focus on staying present in the moment and allows you clear your mind of distractions and listen to your internal voice.
- Yoga can be a form of meditative exercise that includes movements that stretch the body and release tension.
- Show gratitude by finding at least 3 things a day to be thankful for, no matter how small.
- Have sex with someone you have a deep connection with and feel comfortable enough to receive and give pleasure. Need I say more.
No matter what methods you choose to incorporate into your self care routine make sure you do something for yourself every single day. You are worthy of your time, attention and love. Remember where attention goes energy flows.
What is your favorite form of self care? Is there anything you do that is not listed? Do share…